Our properties won't stay on the market for long, so why not stay ahead of the crowd and complete our application form?



What do I need to do first when considering renting a property?

    Think about your budget first of all, taking into account your current outgoings and how much money you have left each month to spend on rent.

    Don't forget that you will need to pay a deposit as well as the first month's rent before moving in, and there may be some tenancy set up fees.

I have found the property I want to rent - what next?

    When you have viewed the property and are sure you would like to apply to rent it, a member of the rental team at Michael Chandler Estate Agents will ask you to complete an application form. We will then begin the referencing process to ensure you're in a position to rent the property.

Why do I need to be referenced?

    At Michael Chandler Estate Agents all of our rental applications go through a formal referencing process.

    This is to confirm to the landlord that the prospective tenant will take good care of the property and won't have any problems paying the rent on time each month

What does referencing involve?

    You will be asked to give contact details of your employer if applicable as well as details of your monthly income, your previous address[es] and some bank account details.

    We will then check all of these to ensure that you are able to commit to monthly rental payments.

Will I need to show ID?

    Yes, we will require ID to process your application in the form of a proof of residency [such as a utility bill or bank statement dated within the last three months] and proof of ID [such as a driving licence or passport].

    A member of the rental team at Michael Chandler Estate Agents will advise you on which forms of ID are acceptable.

What if there are problems with my reference?

    In some cases the application may be declined initially - perhaps if you are a student without a regular income or are leaving home for the first time with no renting history.

    This is not uncommon and does not always mean that you will not be able to rent the property - there may still be options available to you such as seeking out a guarantor or paying the rent for the full term up front, for example.

What is a guarantor's role?

    A guarantor [often a parent or guardian or other family member] will agree to take joint responsibility for the property if the tenant fails to for any reason - including paying any rent arrears incurred or for any damages costing more than the deposit.

    A guarantor will usually have to go through the same referencing process as the tenant, and will usually have to be employed and a UK resident.

Why do I have to pay deposit?

    A deposit is held to ensure that any damages to the property over and above wear and tear can be repaired at the end of tenancy.

    The rental team at Michael Chandler Estate Agents will register your deposit with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme, which will protect your deposit for you and can offer advice should there be any dispute about the deposit at the end of the tenancy.

Fill in the form below